Wednesday, February 9, 2011

A Year in Window



I don't have very many clear memories from childhood, but I do remember walking by a garment shop on Prince Edward Road every day going home from school. It was not a big shop, but there were many mannequins in the windows and usually at least one of them would be in pieces, waiting for its new clothes. I think that's the root of my fascination with mannequins (they're like giant - then bigger than life-size - dolls).

For a year (08/09-08/10), I walked by the Golden Closet (a vintage clothing shop, now defunct) almost everyday for my commute. I took photographs with my phone every time there's a change in the windows. It started as a documentation of time passing, but what I soon found more interesting were the illusions in each tableaux...

for better quality: http://vimeo.com/atyl/a-year-in-window

1 comment:

  1. To begin,
    1. First time I've seen you do video. On this though, i think you almost had to in order to get the same impact. going through the pics individually wouldn't have felt the same.

    Bringing me to point 2. I look at this and I get the same form of "mental vertigo" that I did reading The Dark Tower series. Everything is familiar, yet foreign at the same time. Poor choice of words but the best way I can describe it.

    ReplyDelete